Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fahad is a consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedics, specialising in lower limb arthroplasty and knee reconstruction surgery and is based at St Helens & Knowsley teaching hospitals NHS trust. He performs routine and complex hip and knee replacements, partial knee replacements, osteotomies around the knee, ACL reconstructions, knee arthroscopies and Revision knee replacements. His specialist areas of interest are managing and treating young patients with knee arthritis, anterior knee pain and patello-femoral instability.
Fahad achieved his Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery degree (MBChB) from the University of Liverpool in 1999. Following his house officer year at the University hospital of Aintree, he went on to complete his Basic Surgical Training in Merseyside and successfully gained his Membership exam qualifications with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2004. He moved on to work as a Clinical Research Fellow with Professor Paul Gregg in Middlesborough prior to securing a Trauma & Orthopaedics Registrar training rotation in the East Midlands Deanery in 2005. He successfully completed his Trauma and Orthopaedic training in 2011 and gained his FRCS (Tr & Orth) intercollegiate specialist fellowship exam in 2009.
Fahad completed his fellowship training and gained experience in lower limb arthroplasty and knee reconstruction surgery from world renowned centres; 6 months at the Nuffield Orthopaedic centre in Oxford, 1 year at the Holland Orthopaedic centre, Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto, Canada and 6 months at Wrightington hospital. He further enhanced his surgical experience and expertise by spending time with experts in his specialist areas of interest; young patients with knee arthritis, anterior knee pain and patello-femoral instability. He has spent some time with Dr, David DeJour in Lyon, with Prof. Phillip Lobenhoeffer in Hannover and with Dr. Freddie Fu in the US.
His interest in education and training is reflected by his involvement in orthopaedic training courses as a tutor and facilitator over the last 2 – 3 years. He is an ATLS instructor and has held positions as an examiner for medical students at the University of Leicester in UK and also at the University of Toronto in Canada.
Fahad is well published and has been involved in on-going clinical and lab based research right through his training and fellowship years and this has culminated in numerous peer reviewed publications and numerous oral and poster peer reviewed presentations in both national and international meetings. He has also been an author and editor for a FRCS orthopaedics MCQ book for trainees which have been very well received. He is currently involved in numerous on-going research projects.
He has been heavily involved in and has valuable experience in management. He has been the lead in the enhanced recovery program for knee surgery in Oxford and has held positions of responsibility, couple of which include being the surgical trainee's representative and orthopaedic trainee's representative for the surgical school board committee and the trauma and orthopaedic specialist training committee in Leicester respectively.
Fahad has had a long standing interest in disaster medicine and management and he is currently on the UK International Emergency Trauma Register which deploys doctors in response to international disasters.
- CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, GMC, UK – February 2011
- Currently on the UKIETR (UK International Emergency Trauma Register) – October 2012
- Enrolled in European Master's degree in Disaster Medicine, University of Brussels & University “A. Avogadro” Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy – September 2012
- ATLS Instructor – Royal College of Surgeons of England, London, July 2010
- FRCS (Tr & Orth), (Intercollegiate Specialty Board in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England, UK) – May 2009
- MRCS(Ed) (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK) – January 2003
- MBChB Degree (Liverpool University, Liverpool, UK) – June 1999
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty fellowship at Wrightington Hospital, UK. Worked with Mr. B. Purbach and Mr. A.O. Browne, experience in complex primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty – 5 months (August 2012 – December 2012)
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty and Knee Reconstruction & Sports Medicine fellowship at Holland Orthopaedic Centre, Sunnybrook hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. Worked with Dr. J. Cameron, Dr C. S. Wright, Dr. V. Wadey & Dr. H. Cameron, experience in complex primary and revision hip and knee surgery, knee osteotomies and soft tissue knee reconstruction surgery – 1 year (July 2011 – July 2012)
- Knee Arthroplasty and Soft Tissue Knee Reconstruction fellowship at The Nuffield Orthopaedic centre, Oxford, UK. Worked with Prof. A. Price and Mr. W. Jackson, Experience in all aspects of knee surgery – 5 months (February 2011 – July 2011)
Travelling/ Visiting Fellowship Experience
- Young adult knee reconstruction Fellowship with Prof. Philipp Lobenhoffer, Hannover, Germany
- ACL Reconstruction Fellowship with Prof. Freddie H. Fu, Pittsburg, US
- Knee reconstruction/ Patello-femoral disorders Fellowship with Dr. David DeJour, Lyon, France
- "Fahad G. Attar & Talal Ibrahim (2011). 'Succeeding in the FRCS T&O Part 1 Exam: MCQ Revision Questions in Trauma and Orthopaedics", London, BPP Learning Media.
- "Total knee arthroplasty in patients with excessive external tibial torsion > 450 and patella instability – Surgical technique and long term follow up" M. Drexler, T. Dwyer, M. Marmor, N. Reischl, F.G. Attar, J.C.Cameron. 2012 Nov 8. pii: S0883-5403(12)00581-5. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2012.08.012. [Epub ahead of print]
- "Hip Conversion: Don't Promise Too Much" M. Drexler, N. Reischl, T. Dwyer, F.G. Attar, D.J. Ng, H. Cameron. Seminars in Arthroplasty, Volume 23, Issue 3, Pages 176-178, September 2012.
- "Comparison of cement pressurisation in flanged and unflanged acetabular cups" F. Attar, R. Bhattacharya, S. Green, A. Port. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, 2012, 7:5
- "How good are orthopaedic surgeons at assessing ECGs?" R. Shariff, S.G. Attar, F.G. Attar. Journal Of Orthopaedics, Trauma and Rehabilitation, Volume 14, Issue 2, December 2010
- "Does chevron osteotomy affect the blood supply to the first metatarsal head?", R Shariff, F. Attar, S. Vinjamuri, R. Siddiqi, G. Attar, Acta Orthop. Belg. 2009, 75, 234-238.
- "Survival analysis at 15 years of cemented Press-Fit Condylar Total Knee Arthroplasty" Fahad G. Attar, Fu-Meng Khaw, Lorna M.G. Kirk, Paul J. Gregg, The Journal of Arthroplasty, Volume 23, Issue 3, Pages 331-488, April 2008.
- "Perioperative changes in the microcirculation in feet following foot and ankle surgery", F. Attar, D. Machin, D. Selvan, R. Shariff, N.P. Geary. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Volume 46, Number 4, July/August 2007.
- "Comparison of the caliper method and two dimensional computer software to measure polyethylene wear after total hip arthroplasty", V. Kumar, F. Attar, P. Savvidis, J. Anderson. European Journal of orthopaedic surgery and traumatology, Volume 16, Number 3/September, 2006.
- "Long term follow up of patients with Reginald's osteotomy for hallux valgus" F. Attar, U. Nagare, R. Asirvatham, (Accepted for publication by Journal of Orthopaedics, Trauma & Rehabilitation, Feb 2012)
- "Radiological Outcomes following simultaneous 1st and 5th metatarsal osteotomies" M. Hadi, F. Attar, R. Shariff, G.S. Attar (Accepted for publication by Journal of Orthopaedics, Trauma & Rehabilitation, Feb 2012)
- "Comparing predictability of survival between ISS and NISS", M.U. Saleem, N. Yousaf, F. Attar and R. Deshmukh. Injury Extra, Volume 38, Issue 4, April 2007, Pages 110-11.
- "Correlating different parameters and scoring systems with the probability of survival in trauma patients", N. Yousaf, M.U. Saleem, B. Sheraz, F. Attar and R. Deshmukh. Injury Extra, Volume 38, Issue 4, April 2007, Pages 109-110.
- "Ottawa guidelines for ankle and foot injuries", Dr. M. N. Hadi, Mr. F. G. Attar. International Journal of Disaster Medicine, 2006; 4:3.
- "Compare and predict probability of survival between ISS and NISS", Dr. U. Saleem, Dr. N. Yousuf, Mr. F. G. Attar, Mr. R. Deshmukh. International Journal of Disaster Medicine, 2006; 4:3.
- "Foot pressure study using the pedobarograph : Comparison of normal subjects with Hallux Rigidus and metatarsalgia", Mr. F. Attar, Mr. V. Kumar, Mr. G. Akra, Mr. K. Rome, Mr. A. Adedapo. J Bone Joint Surg Br Orthopaedic Proceedings, 2006 88-B: 275-276.
- "Assessment of polyethylene wear in total hip arthroplasty: A comparitive study of computer software versus Livermore method", Mr. V. Kumar, Mr. F. Attar, Mr. P. Savvidis, Mr. J. Anderson. J Bone Joint Surg Br Orthopaedic Proceedings, 2006 88-B: 276.
- "The relationship between the Injury Severity Score and the Revised Trauma Score with the probability of survival for our trauma patients and how this compares with the predicted relationship", Mr. F. Attar, Mr. P. Simms. Injury Extra (online).
- "Probability of survival in trauma patients: is there a need for change in the variables used for calculation?" Mr. F. Attar, Mr. P. Simms. Injury Extra (online).
- "Perioperative assessment of microcirculation in feet", Mr. F. Attar, Dr. R. Shariff, Dr. D. Selvan, Dr. D. Machin, Mr. N. Geary. J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, Sep 2005; 87-B: 373.
- "Assess the correlation between the expected outcome and the actual outcome of trauma patients using the ISS scoring system", Mr. F. Attar, Mr. P. Simms. European Journal of Trauma Supplement, 30 (1): pg 68; May 2004.
- "Assessing documentation of vital observations in management of trauma victims", Mr. F. Attar, Mr. P. Simms. European Journal of Trauma Supplement, 30 (1): pg 69; May 2004.
- "The thrill of the chase", Mr. F. Attar. Surgeons News (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh), June 2004.
- "Break into Orthopaedics – Part I", Mr. F. Attar. Surgeons News (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh), October 2004.
- "Break into Orthopaedics – Part II", Mr. F. Attar. Surgeons News (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh), December 2004.
- "Break into Orthopaedics – Part III", Mr. F. Attar. Surgeons News (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh), December 2004
Prizes & Awards
- Dr. Charles S. Wright Education Scolarship, Holland Orthopaedic Centre, Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto, Canada – June 2012
- Current Concepts Foundation Scholarship, Current Concepts in Joint Replacement, Las Vegas, US – April 2012
- Jacques Duparc Award for Best Poster and Presentation at the 8th EFORT Congress, Florence, Italy – May 2007
- Best Poster Award at the 7th EFORT Congress, Lisbon, Portugal – June 2005.
- Best Trainees Paper Award at the 3rd SICOT/SIROT Annual International Conference, Havana, Cuba – September 2004
- ROAF Traveling scholarship for elective study, University of Liverpool, 1997
- UKIETR Member (UK International Emergency Trauma Register)
- ATLS Instructor
- Chairman & Founder of DOVES (Doctors on Voluntary Emerg. Service)
- Examiner for Univ. of Toronto
- Tutor & Facilitator for Training courses
- Reviewer for The Knee journal
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- World Orthopaedic Concern